I have just realised that I have been blogging for just over a year now. I know, I know – I’m a bit slow on the uptake sometimes! But shout out “Who’s for a second slice of lemon drizzle?” and I’m like greased lightning, I am! 😀
I have read so many great blog posts on ‘How to Blog’ and ‘How not to Blog’ and even ‘How to Blog so it looks like you’re not even trying!’ – but I’m not one to pass up a bandwagon if I see it trundling past me; especially if it’s a cakebandwagon, if you follow my meaning!
Anyway, here are my ‘Wot I’ve Learnt Tips’ – take ’em or leave ’em! 😉
1. Write about any and every subject you damn well fancy! Don’t think you have to only write about hedgehogs (for instance!) just because you are absolutely OBSESSED with them! That’s limiting yourself, and your audience.
2. DO write about the nitty gritty, the everyday, and the merciless minutiae of your lives. Just as people love peering through net curtains at the secret lives of those inside, so they will enjoy your tales. IF they are told in an entertaining or well-written style. Or is that just me?? #CURTAINSTALKER
Suzanne at http://3childrenandit.com/ does this very well!
3. Don’t worry too much about trying to find/create your own style, or about trying to be funny. That will come with time, if you don’t try to force it. You will metamorphise into your own beautiful, styling, blogging caterpillar, if you just RELAX! There is NO ONE out there like YOU, remember that!
In my case, that’s probably a good thing.
Shout out to Jen at https://smilecries.wordpress.com/ for awesome styling and humour!
4. The best thing about blogging for me, is that I can waste good novel-writing time by dashing off a blog post in about 15 mins, (or 1 hour 15 mins if I do a spell check!) Use it as writing practice/evasion people – and you can’t go wrong!
It’s all GOOD! 😉
5. Do read, and conversate (#sorrynotsorry) with other blogs/bloggers. It’s worth taking the time to like and comment. I know I get a small thrill every time someone is kind enough to take the time, and do the same for me! And you can learn such a lot from other bloggers. I know I have!
6. Don’t feel that you have to blog regularly if you can’t manage it. I know I don’t. I always struggle to say something just for the sake of it. You can always tell the scheduled bloggers from the genuine ones.
7. Don’t see blogging only as a way of making money/harvesting readers for your book. If your aims are purely business ones, I personally, am turned right off. Don’t sell AT me please! Open up to me like a friend, and I will naturally be interested in any project that you are working on.
I have to like you first!! 🙂
8. People love memes! And as many eye-catching pics as you can stuff into a post. In fact, ditch the words – just put in the pictures and I’ll be a happy bunny! #JOKING
9. Don’t be afraid to get too personal! That’s what makes people connect with you. You may be saying something that your reader has been afraid to acknowledge, or talk about. It may help them to address their own problem in some way. That’s very powerful.
10. Use language in whatever the hell way you like! There are so many rules out there, but I say as long as people can understand you, have fun with your words! I know that I really enjoy it when I come across a blog that is both clever, and inventive with language.
Mr Brian Bilston at http://brianbilston.com/ is rather good at this, so I’ll give him a shout out, too! (Also I have a teeny tiny miniscule blogcrush on him)
Please find it in your hearts to forgive me!
Well, can’t think of anything else right now, but of course I will just as soon as I hit that blue ‘publish’ button! Sigh.
(I need another year at this blogging lark!)
Congrats and Thanks to all of you; for managing to keep me entertained blog wise, and for inspiring me to write much more better over the last year!
❤ ❤ ❤
The Hedgehog with a blog. x